Ginger Snap Crafts: {blast from the past} popsicle stick flags ~ tutorial

{blast from the past} popsicle stick flags ~ tutorial

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I shared this craft last year just about this time! 
It’s a great last minute craft to do with the kiddos.
I had seen a similar idea over at A Pumpkin & a Princess
I think this was one of the first times I met Crystal & featured her on my blog!
Now she’s one of my closest blogging friends,
& I’m still getting great ideas from her.  Thanks, Crystal!
 Winking smile
 
We turned our flags into a banner! Love how festive & fun it makes the mantel look.
 
 
It's super simple & easy to do, and if your kiddos love
to glue & paint {like mine do!} then this is the perfect craft for them.
 
 
You'll need jumbo popsicle sticks.
{Did you know that you can cut popsicle sticks with scissors?}
I didn't either, but it was super easy to do with a pair of my kiddo's school scissors. 
You'll need to cut (2) 3 1/2 inch sticks and (3) 3 inch sticks.
You'll also need 5 uncut popsicle sticks.
You'll also need some stars.  I cut mine out of white card stock with my star punch.
{You could also use stickers, paint or whatever you have around.}
 
 
Paint your popsicle sticks.  You won't need to paint the 3 1/2 inch sticks.
You'll use those to glue your stripes on.  They'll be in the back, so you won't see them.
 
 
You'll glue your blue sticks on top of your stripes.
{We just used Elmer's glue to hold our flags together.}
 
 
Glue on your stars.
Then let the flags dry really well.
 
 
I hot glued our flags to a long piece of red ribbon.
Then I tied 6 inch pieces of ribbon between
each flag after I hung our flag banner on the mantle.
 
 
It’s sad…but my mantel pretty much looks the same today a year later.
Hmmmmmm…..I might need to change it up a bit! Winking smile

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.