Ginger Snap Crafts: DIY Shutter Headboard {tutorial}

DIY Shutter Headboard {tutorial}

A few weeks ago I revealed my new mom cave, & today I wanted to show how I made our super easy DIY shutter headboard.

DIY shutter headboard from GingerSnapCrafts.com

#momcave wall art

If you follow me on facebook you might of seen this picture (below) that I posted during my mom cave makeover.  Yes, my living room was kind of a busy place that week. ha! I had my stenciled curtains hanging to dry on the windows, & I was just about to start some painting! It was way too cold to paint in the garage. Hey…whatever works, right? ;) You might of notice some old shutters lying in the middle of the floor & wondered what I was doing with them. These actually came off the front of our house.  We changed out our shutters to cedar shutters several years ago, and I just knew I could use these old ones for something someday! ;)

living room

Well, I turned them into a headboard for our bed! It was so easy.  First I painted the headboards with a fresh new coat of paint.  Paint always does wonders!

Then I gathered some supplies.

diy shutter headboard supplies

For this project you’ll need:

  • a drill & bits
  • a leveler
  • stud finder
  • wood screws
  • plastic screw anchors
  • rubber mallet

diy headboard

First we held one of the shutters up on the wall & marked with a pencil where it was nice & level.  (This was a two person job by the way.) ;)

diy headboard from shutters

Then we used the drill to put the screws through the shutter & then we took the screws back out. This made a small hole in the wall to mark our spot on the wall where the screw would be.

diy headboard wall anchors

We couldn’t find a stud in just the right spot using our stud finder so we ended up using these plastic wall anchors to help secure the headboard to the wall. The plastic wall anchors are so easy to use.  We just inserted the wall anchor into the hole we had made.

diy headboard shutters

Then using a rubber mallet we just gently tapped it into place.

diy headboards from old shutters

Then we just carefully line all the wood screws with the wall anchors & attached the boards to the wall with the drill. That’s it!

#momcave furniture

So there you go…a “brand new” headboard for free. :) You can’t beat that! ;)

#momcave la-z-boy

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.

Subscribe to {Ginger Snap Crafts} by Email