Ginger Snap Crafts: How to Make a Reusable Stencil with your Silhouette {tutorial}

How to Make a Reusable Stencil with your Silhouette {tutorial}

This post is brought to you by Silhouette.

Hello! I know one of the new products from Silhouette that everyone has been talking about is the new reusable Silhouette Stencil Material. I know when I first saw it that I couldn’t wait to try it out! I was so excited to get my hands on some last week. Yay! So today I’m excited to share an easy how to make a reusable stencil with your Silhouette tutorial. You are going to love this stuff! ha! ;) Annnd remember it is 25% off right now using the code GINGERSNAP when you shop at SilhouetteAmerica.com. Awesome! OK….so here we go! :)

How to Make a Reusable Stencil with your Silhouette at GingerSnapCrafts.com #SilhouetteCAMEO #SilhouettePortrait #stenciling #tutorial #spon

DIY Stenciled Sign ~ Hello Sunshine at GingerSnapCrafts.com #SihouetteCAMEO #SihouettePortrait #spon

The stencil material comes in a 12x24 inch roll which was plenty for this project. This material is adhesive on the back & comes on a backing paper. So you do not need a mat to cut it out. You will load it straight into your Silhouette.

Silhouette Stencil Material #spon

You’ll need to adjust your blade settings for cutting the stencil material, and then you’ll send your image to your Silhouette to cut. After you cut it out you’ll remove the negative, & then you will have a stencil all ready to go! It cuts really nice, too!

Silhouette Tutorial how to stencil with your Silhouette CAMEO

This stencil material has an adhesive on one side, so this makes it great for stenciling wood, glass, furniture, ceramics & material. I wouldn’t used it on paper. The adhesive would be a little too sticky for that. I love that is stays in place! That really makes stenciling a whole lot easier.

Silhouette Stenciling Tutorial

Then I just used a foam roller to apply my paint. As with all stenciling, the secret is to do thin layers of paint. Don’t put too much paint or pressure on your brush. Just take it nice & slow. :)

stencil tutorial

After each pass I just moved my stencil down my board. Be careful to not smear the paint. Soon my board look like this ~ all happy & polka dotted. ha! :) You can rinse your stencil under running water, & then air dry. Then it’s all ready for next time. ;)

stenciling with a Silhouette CAMEO #tutorial

After the paint had completely dried, I sanded it down slightly with a piece of sandpaper to give it a little character.

stenciling distressed

Then I applied this Hello Sunshine image from the Silhouette online store in black vinyl. Since this was going to go in my kitchen by the sink I gave it one good coat of decoupage to give it a little protection. Then I let it dry.

stencil and mod podge

I love how it turned out! It’s so bright & cheerful. It was so easy to make, and I still have the stencil! So I can make more of these if I wanted to! Just think of the craft night possibilities. You could also create & design you own stencil. Make stencils custom size to fit your project. You can find lots of stencil images in the Silhouette online store, too to get you started. You have so many fun possibilities with this new stencil material.

DIY Stenciled Sign ~ Hello Sunshine at GingerSnapCrafts.com #SihouetteCAMEO #SihouettePortrait #spon

Don’t forget about the ah-mazing Silhouette Promotion going on right now! You can find out all the details right {HERE}. You can also visited the special Silhouette promotion page & use the code GINGERSNAP to get these deals. Don’t forget all specialty media is 25% off using the code GINGERSNAP right now as well. So it’s time to stock up! :)

Silhouette Promotion May 21-31st using the code GINGERSNAP #SilhouetteCAMEO #SilhouettePortrait #spon

Don’t forget to enter the Silhouette CAMEO giveaway!!!
Click on the picture to enter. Winner will be announced on Monday!

HINT CAMEO giveaway #Silhouette

I hope you all have a fabulous holiday weekend, and I’ll see you back here on Monday! :)

How to Make a Reusable Stencil with your Silhouette at GingerSnapCrafts.com #SilhouetteCAMEO #SilhouettePortrait #stenciling #tutorial #spon

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.

Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.

 

 

This project & post were created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.