Ginger Snap Crafts: OMTWI round 1 {outdoor chalkboard & desk}

OMTWI round 1 {outdoor chalkboard & desk}

I made it through to Round 2 of OMTWI.  {Whew!} 
What an amazing group of ladies & projects! 
 
I had fun having YOU guess which project you thought was mine!
Heather from Googly Pies & Rhiannon from My Handcrafted Home got it right!  :) 
 
My project was the Outdoor Chalkboard & Desk.
 
{Don’t feel bad it you didn’t guess right…my mom called Tuesday morning & had it narrowed down to 3 she thought might be mine, but she couldn’t tell!  Hope she voted from mine!
Love you, Mom!!!}

So just incase you missed it over there…here’s the tutorial!

IMG_0727
 
It didn't take me long {about a minute!} to decide which Krylon product I wanted to try out....the Krylon Chalkboard Spray Paint.  I've been wanting to try out some chalkboard paint, so this was the perfect opportunity!  Just so you know everything on this chalkboard is weather-proof.  It's all plastic, but you'd never know!

IMG_0519 

 IMG_0605  

   IMG_0610   IMG_0613

Yes, the frame & the chalkboard surface are plastic!  So it should be fine outside!  The trim looks like wood, you can cut it like wood & paint it!  Love!  We bought it at Lowes in the lumber section.  The chalkboard is a fluorescent light cover.  Love that the label says virtually unbreakable!  With 5 kids I need that!  On one side it was bumpy but on the other it was pretty smooth.  That’s the side I painted with my Krylon Chalkboard Spray Paint.

   IMG_0612   IMG_0617

While my hubby measured & cut the frame & screwed it all together I broke out the spray paint!  I'm not going to lie...it took several coats of paint!  My technique wasn’t too professional either! ;) Remember I’m new at this spray painting thing!  So it took several coats of paint & 2 cans of spray paint.  My trigger finger was a little sore, but so worth it! :)  Love how it turned out!  {FYI:  You have to wait 24 hours before writing on your chalkboard.}

IMG_0643   IMG_0631   IMG_0653

Then I painted the chalkboard frame & shaker pegs a vintage blue color {with regular paint this time!} .  Love the color!  After everything was good & dried we placed the chalkboard into the frame.  My husband had routed a little groove in the back of the frame, so the chalkboard lays flush with the frame.  Then we simply & carefully stapled gunned the chalkboard into place,
& then we put some shaker pegs along the front.  We drilled some small holes in the back to use for hangers.  Then we hung our chalkboard {outside} on our backyard fence!  On the pegs I hung buckets for chalk & erasers.  {TIP:  The erasers are just pieces of felt cut into squares. Easy!}

IMG_0686   IMG_0687   IMG_0727

Since I was out painting I decided to grab this cute desk down from the attic.  My husband's grandfather had made it a long time ago, & it was in the need of a makeover!  I used the Krylon Chalkboard Spray Paint on the writing surface & then painted the rest of the desk yellow & white.  Love how it turned out!  So cute!!  FYI: The Krylon Chalkboard Spray Paint worked awesome on the wood.  I think I needed only two coats.  Much better coverage than on the white plastic.

IMG_0751    IMG_0733    IMG_0768

So, there you go my very FUNctional & cute {outdoor} chalkboard & matching desk! 
My kiddos are LOVING it!  {And I’m loving NO chalkboard dust in the house!!!} :)

IMG_0736

If you voted for my little project THANK YOU!!! 

Next week’s challenge is anything using a DecoArt Product.
Can’t wait! :)

Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

 Photobucket

Visit thecsiproject.com