Ginger Snap Crafts: How to Make a Giant Peg Board {tutorial} #storage

How to Make a Giant Peg Board {tutorial} #storage

Hello! I’m back! Did you miss me? ha! I’m sure you were just as busy as me enjoying the holidays. It’s good to be back to a more normal routine though! Time to get some projects marked off my list. This project had been on my to do list for along time. I am so excited to get this baby checked off! It was soooooo easy to put together. I’m not sure what took us so long to make this giant peg board! It’s definitely an afternoon project, & it doesn’t take long to get up at all. It it awesome for organizing all of my craft supplies, & it would make a great addition to any workspace. So keep reading, & I’ll show you how to make a giant peg board. Let’s get to it! ;)

How to Make a Giant Peg Board at GingerSnapCrafts.com #gingersnapcrafts #craft #storage

First, you’ll need to measure how big you want to make your peg board. I measured my space & decided to make a 4 foot wide by 3 foot tall peg board. You can buy peg board sheets at Home Depot or any home improvement store. I bought a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet. So before we got started we trimmed a foot off the top of my peg board with a table saw.

You’ll need a few other supplies to get started:
trim
1x2 boards
nail gun & nails
wood glue
paint
paint brush
caulk & caulking gun
table saw
miter saw

*At the bottom of this post I’ll link to were I got my peg hooks & other storage bins. :)

First, you’ll make a frame using the 1x2 boards. Trim the ends of your boards with miter saw to a 45 degree angle so they fit together. Since my peg board was 4 foot by 3 foot I made my frame the same size. Use a little bit of wood glue & a nail gun to attach your frame together. Let dry.

peg board

I gave my peg board a fresh coat of white paint. You don’t necessarily have to do this step if you don’t want to. I just think everything looks better freshly painted. Plus I used the same paint that I was going to use on the trim & frames. So it all ended up all matchy matchy in the end. ;)

peg board tutorial at GingerSnapCrafts.com

We also make a 4 foot by 3 foot frame using some wood trim the same exact way we did the 1x2 frame. You’ll need a frame for the front AND back of your peg board. The peg board needs to be up away from the wall for the peg hooks to fit in. So the 1x2 frame on the back gives it just enough space between the wall to hang your peg hooks & baskets in.

Using a nail gun we nailed the peg board to the 1x2 frame. Just go all the way around every 2 or 3 inches or so. For some extra reinforcement put a thin layer of wood glue between the frame & the peg board before you start nailing.

peg board tutorial at GingerSnapCrafts.com #pegboard #storage

Put a thin layer of wood glue around the edge of the peg board then sit the nicer trim frame right on top of the peg board. Using your nail gun again to nail all the way around your peg board. Let the wood glue dry.

peg boad tutorial

Then I used a caulk gun to fill in the joints of the trim frame where the wood met & the nail holes. Then I gave the frame one more coat of paint & painted around the edge of the frames so that no wood was showing just nice white edges. The edges will look like the ones below. :)

how to hang a peg board

To hang this giant peg board up we just used a stud finder to find the studs in the wall. Put some screws in the studs & hung the peg board on the screws. All done! :)

craft room

All that was left to do was fill my space with craft supplies! So fun! :)
FYI: This is along one wall in our master bedroom.

craft storage ideascraft storage ideas for small spaces

craft ideas

This is where I found my storage containers:
mini card catalog made by We R Memory Keepers (found on Amazon or HSN)
spinning craft organizer at Hobby Lobby on clearance
small metal buckets & glass jars in the Target Dollar Spot
big metal buckets at Hobby Lobby
white paper organizer made by We R Memory Keepers (found on Amazon or HSN)
peg board hooks at Home Depot(2 packs)
peg board baskets at Home Depot (2 packs)
black metal baskets inside the shelves at Walmart (I took out the cloth liners.)
gray credenza from Sauder Furniture
gray rolling card for my paint from IKEA

Right next to my peg board storage area I have this huge armoire
from IKEA that adds even more craft storage. I love this thing! :)
Can you see my CAMEO up on top away from little people? ha!

more craft storage

You can see more by clicking the picture below. :)

Craft Organization in a small place with #LifestyleCrafts_thumb[1]

Hmmmmmm…..now what should I organize next? ;)
Do you have any organization projects in the works?
I’d love to hear! Leave a comment below. :)

How to Make a Giant Peg Board at GingerSnapCrafts.com #gingersnapcrafts #craft #storage

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.
 
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.

 

 

This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.