Ginger Snap Crafts: 10 Super Saturday Ideas & 5 Tips to Make Yours Successful

10 Super Saturday Ideas & 5 Tips to Make Yours Successful

Hello! How are you? Last week I was a craft making machine! ha! I am in charge of our church’s craft night or more commonly called a Super Saturday! Ours is actually on a Thursday night so we are calling it a Mini Thursday. It’s kind of scaled down version Super Saturday. ;) I know a lot of you are in the same position or maybe you just want to plan a fun craft night for some of your girlfriends, so I thought I’d share what we are doing at ours. I’m also going to give you a few tips that will help make any craft night successful! So keep reading! :)

Super Saturday Ideas at GingerSnapCrafts.com #supersaturday #lds #craftnight

Craft nights can easily get out of hand! ha! So here’s a few tips to help you get started.

1. Keep it simple & low cost. You don’t want to spend a fortune on craft supplies! So keep it simple! A lot of my crafts use wood. Wood is cheap compared to lots of other things! You can get an 8 foot 2x4 board for under $4!!! Cut that thing in a bunch of blocks, & you’ve got a lot to work with. All of the projects we are doing range in price from $10 to $3. Not too shabby! ;)

2. Make “meaningful” crafts. Try to make projects that are more than just fluff. Some fluff is OK, but have a few ideas that people will treasure & use ~ family name boards, Follow the Prophet frame, temple pictures, family home evening boards, menu boards, nativity sets, etc. All of those are great for craft nights.

3. Enlist help. If you are doing this large scale like a Super Saturday ~ form a committee.
You’ll need lots of help from cutting wood, shopping for supplies, dividing up supplies, setting up & cleaning up. Make sure you have a good group of ladies to work with.

4. Give yourself plenty of time for prep work. Plan ahead. If you are doing sign ups like we are for our craft night have the sign ups close 3-4 weeks before your activity. You want plenty of time to gather supplies, cut the wood, etc.

5. Use Pinterest & craft blogs for ideas.
Holy cow there are a TON of ideas out there. Use them! :) I found all of these ideas surfing Pinterest & typing the keywords Super Saturday Crafts.

Now for our craft night I narrowed it down to 10 ideas! It was hard to whittle down my list. Buuuuut you can’t make everything. ha! Plus there is always next year, right? So below are the projects we are doing. Underneath I linked to were I found the idea. Just click that link to find everything you need to know about to make that craft. I’ve also listed a supply list. So you can see what you’ll need to make that craft. I designed a few of the cut files for the vinyl crafts with my Silhouette. So if you own a Silhouette, & you’d like those cut files please email me {ginger at gingersnapcrafts.com}, & I’ll send them over to you. (for personal use only) Let me know if you have any questions! Enjoy! :)

{14} Block 2x4 Nativity Set at GingerSnapCrafts.com
I found this cute nativity block set tutorial over at Simply Fresh Designs.

Supplies:
Download these printables from Simply Fresh Designs. I had them printed at Walmart as 4x6 prints.
14 2.5 inch blocks cut from a 2x4
craft paint
sandpaper
Mod Podge
foam brushes

These are soooo easy to make. Sand, then paint your blocks. Let them dry. Then use Mod Podge to attach the pictures. That’s it! :)

2x4 Snowmen at GingerSnapCrafts.com

I found this 2x4 snowmen idea over at Craftaholics Anonymous. So cute!

Supplies:
2 2x4 blocks cut to size (6 inch, 7 inch)
sandpaper
white paint
foam brushes
material
Mod Podge or school glue
white glitter
vinyl snowman face*

*This is the same face I used for my 2x4 snowman. If you want to cut file email me! :)

Chalkboard Countdown Block at GingerSnapCrafts.com

I found this countdown block idea from this Super Saturday round up.

Supplies:
wood block (I used a scrap piece of 2x4 cut in half. You could also use a 2x2.)
sandpaper
chalkboard paint
foam brushes
vinyl*

*I have this cut file, too. Email me if you want it. :)

chalky finish mason jars at GingerSnapCrafts.com

I have LOTS of chalky finish paint thanks to DecoArt. :) So this project at our Super Saturday is going to be free. I’m just having everyone bring their own jars.

Supplies:
mason jars
Chalky Finish Paint
foam brushes
sandpaper

You can find the Americana Chalky Finish paint at Hobby Lobby, Michaels Stores, The Home Depot & online at DecoArt.com.

Follow the Prophet frames at GingerSnapCrafts.com

First I downloaded Pres. Monson’s picture & sent it to Walmart for 4x6 & 5x7 prints. I bought the unfinished frames at Hobby Lobby in the wood section.

Supplies:
unfinished wood frames from Hobby Lobby (4x6 frame is $4.99 & the 5x7 is $5.99)
paint
foam brushes
print of Pres. Monson (4x6 or 5x7)
vinyl lettering*

*I have this cut file, too! Email me if you’d like it. :)

4x4 pumpkins at GingerSnapCrafts.com

Hop over to Simply Kierste for the full 4x4 pumpkin tutorial.

Supplies:
untreated 4x4 blocks
sticks for the stem
orange & white paint (I used the chalky finish paint for these.)
foam brushes
dauber for the polka dots
painters tape for the stripes
sandpaper
twine
wood glue

The one thing I did differently from the original tutorial was that I didn’t drill a hole in the top for the stem to sit into. I just cut my stems flush with a saw & wood glued them to the top of my pumpkins. It worked great! I also didn’t use vinyl stencils for the dots since I didn’t think we’d have time to let the paint dry that well. The vinyl will take some of the paint off if it’s too wet. So I made my polka dots with a dauber. Fast & easy! :)

photo block at GingerSnapCrafts.com

I found this photo block idea right over here.

Supplies:
2x8 cut into an 8 inch block
sandpaper
thin piece of wood to glue on front (I found this at Hobby Lobby for $1.99 in the wood section.)
hot glue & glue gun
scrapbook paper
Mod Podge
clothespin
washi tape
paint
foam brushes

This is super easy to put together. Basically you just paint everything, Mod Podge some paper on the smaller piece of wood & glue it all together. I used the washi tape to decorate the clothespin before I glued that in place.

Reversible Boo & Joy Blocks at GingerSnapCrafts.com

This one is just some 2x4s cut into blocks. I found the vinyl in the Silhouette online store. One side says BOO & the other JOY.

Supplies:
2x4 blocks
sandpaper
white paint
foam brushes
vinyl lettering

Temple blocks at GingerSnapCrafts.com

These temple blocks are the brain child of the talented Robyn from Create it. Go! :) So hop over to her blog to see where to get the vinyl & the measurements for the blocks.

Supplies:
wood blocks (You’ll use 2x4s & 2x6s.)
sandpaper
temple vinyl
white paint
foam paint brushes
distressing ink, optional

Temple Photo Blocks at GingerSnapCrafts.com

You can see how to make these temple photo blocks & download the temple pictures over at Lil’ Luna.

Supplies:
5x7 temple print
2x6 cut into an 8 1/4 inch block
sandpaper
paint
foam brushes
Mod Podge
ribbon
tulle

For more Super Saturday ideas check out my Super Saturday Pinterest Board. :)

Follow Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com's board Super Saturday Ideas on Pinterest.

I know that was A LOT of information! Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck with your craft night! :) If you have some great ideas for a Super Saturday ~ leave a link in the comments, so we can all check them out. :)

Super Saturday Ideas at GingerSnapCrafts.com #supersaturday #lds #craftnight

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.

Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.

 

 

This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.