Ginger Snap Crafts: Classroom Sign ~ Teacher Gift Idea {tutorial}

Classroom Sign ~ Teacher Gift Idea {tutorial}

This post was first seen over on The Benson Street as a guest post a few months ago.

Good morning! It’s August! Can you believe it? This past weekend we got all of our back to school shopping done. Yay! :) If you’ve read my blog long you probably already know that I have 5 kiddos (annnnd one amazing husband, too!). Buuut I’m also the oldest of 7 kids! I know! It's was fun & LOUD growing up! ha! One of my sisters is a teacher, & she moved across the country this summer with her family to teach at a brand new school. I thought it would be fun to make her a new Classroom Sign for her new room this coming fall. This would make the perfect teacher gift for your favorite teacher, too! So let's get started! :)
 
#teachergift #giftidea
 
You'll need a few supplies to get started.
  • wooden board
  • sand & sander
  • paint & paint brush
  • distressing ink
  • polka dot patterned vinyl from Happy Crafters
  • black & white vinyl
  • a Silhouette 
  • screws & wire for hanging
  • glitter paper
  • hot glue gun
 
First, I painted my board & then distressed it. The easiest way to distress a board is to lightly sand the edges with sand paper & then use distressing ink & a rag to give it that nice distressed looked.
 
 
Before I applied my vinyl I added two screws & some wire on the back. This would make it super simple to hang up later.
 
 
Next it was time to apply the vinyl. I put the patterned vinyl on first & then layered the black vinyl on top. I found the patterned vinyl at Happy Crafters. Since it's a big piece of vinyl the only thing you'll need to watch out for is air bubbles. To prevent that use a scraper or credit card to smooth out any air bubbles before you remove the backing paper. If you've never applied vinyl before you can see my tutorial right {HERE}. It's easy!
 
 
Then I applied my vinyl lettering right one top. 
I used black & white vinyl to give it a chalkboard look.
 
 
Then I cut out a paper bow using yellow glitter paper. I used this image for the Silhouette online store.
 
 
Then I assembled my bow, & then I hot glued the bow right on top of my sign.
 
 
The only thing left to do was to give my sister her brand new sign! :) I also made a door sign for my brother. He surprised everyone by accepting a teacher job this fall teaching Texas History & Journalism. He has been a television report for NBC5 in Dallas for the last several years. You can see his less girly & big time Texan sign right {HERE} over on instagram. Do you need a gift idea for a man teacher, too? Check out this gift basket. :)
 

You can check out even more of my easy Teacher Gift Ideas below. :)
 
 
 

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.
 
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.