Ginger Snap Crafts: DIY Rustic Wood Sign {tutorial} + more Silhouette Home Décor Ideas

DIY Rustic Wood Sign {tutorial} + more Silhouette Home Décor Ideas

Hello! Today I’d love to show you how I made this super easy DIY Rustic Wood Sign with just a few supplies plus I’m teaming with The Silhouette Challenge to bring YOU even more Home Décor Ideas using a Silhouette. So let’s get started. :)

DIY Rustic Wood Sign at GingerSnapCrafts.com #DIY   #barnwoodsign #gingersnapcrafts

diy sign

I shared this post first over at Craftaholics Anonymous. Annnnd when I heard that The Silhouette Challenge this month was home décor (with a bonus challenge of wood) I knew this would be the perfect project to share with you today. :)

For this project you will need:
piece of old barn wood or fence board
vinyl lettering
decoupage
chalky finish paint
paint brush
sander & fine sandpaper
wax

First, I sanded my board slightly, & then I cleaned it with a damp cloth to remove any dust.

supplies for sign

Then I cut the phrase “our happily ever after” out with my Silhouette & some scrap vinyl. I used the Isabella Script font. Instead of weeding out the excess vinyl like I normally do, I weeded out the letters. Then I applied the vinyl stencil to my board.

vinyl stencil

Then I applied a pretty generous amount of decoupage to my board. This helps seal the stencil & prevents paint from seeping underneath my stencil later on. Then I let it dry completely.

stenciling

Next I got out my favorite paint ~ Americana Chalky Finish paint from DecoArt.

chalky paint

I painted over the stencil with a thin coat of the chalky finish paint.

sign photo prop

Before it had dried completely I carefully removed the vinyl leaving the phrase behind. Look at those clean lines! This is why this is my favorite (& the easiest!) stencil method.

sign making #wedding

After the paint had dried all the way, I sanded over the letters slightly to distress it just a little bit.

how to distress a sign

To give it a little bit more protection I gave it one coat of crème wax with an old rag.

waxing signs

I love how it turned out! I made this sign for my little sister. Her & her husband are moving into a new home in just a few weeks. She is so excited, & she wanted some help decorating. So of course, I volunteered. ;) I think I want to make another one for me next! ha!

diy sign

Aren’t they adorable? Cute sign, too! ;)

meg

Now check out some more home décor ideas from
The Silhouette Challenge Facebook Group.

Want to Check Out More Silhouette Projects?

My Silhouette Challenge friends & I are all sharing projects on our blogs today, so checkout the projects below for a tons of Silhouette inspiration!

The Framed Horse Glass Etching ProjectDIY Watercolor and Vinyl Quote ArtDIY Fall Decor Pillow WrapDIY Rustic Wood Sign {tutorial} + more Silhouette Home Decor IdeasPineapple Wooden Welcome Art - Upcycled Pallet ArtHow To Create A Custom Shaped Photo MatWhat NOT To Use Stenciling On WoodDIY Dry Erase CalendarWooden Pallet Bathroom Wall ArtA Feminine Family WreathMap Themed Decor with your SilhouetteDIY Lily for Target Candle HoldersNursery Canvas Wall ArtNo Place Like Home Baseball DoorHangerPersonalized Lazy Susan IKEA Hack!What A Wonderful WorldWood burning a Frame & CoastersHow to Stencil a Pallet SignHome State Sign
1. Whatcha Workin' On? // 2. Two Purple Couches // 3. Made in a Day // 4. Ginger Snap Crafts // 5. Architecture of a Mom // 6. Simply Kelly Designs // 7. Crafty Bonds // 8. Practically Functional // 9. DailyDwelling // 10. DIY Just Cuz {Sam} // 11. unOriginal Mom // 12. Decor Adventures // 13. Creative Ramblings // 14. My Paper Craze // 15. Where The Smiles Have Been // 16. Get Silvered // 17. DIYJustCuz {Brittany} // 18. Weekend Craft // 19. Create & Babble

silhouettethemes2015

DIY wood sign tutorial at GingerSnapCrafts.com

Annnnd have you heard about the new Silhouette Curio?
You can read all about {HERE} & see where you can pre-order one. :)

Introducing the new Silhouette Curio[3]

Do you like to make your own home décor?
What has your favorite DIY project been?
Leave a comment below. I’d love to hear! :)

DIY Rustic Wood Sign at GingerSnapCrafts.com #DIY   #barnwoodsign #gingersnapcrafts

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.
 
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.

 

 

This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.