Ginger Snap Crafts: Skittles Popcorn Balls {recipe} #SkittlesTourney

Skittles Popcorn Balls {recipe} #SkittlesTourney

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
#SkittlesTourney #CollectiveBias

Hello! Happy Friday! What is your favorite sport? We are a huge basketball family! My oldest daughter plays for her team at school, and we love to go to her games. Her team just finished up their big basketball tournament a few weeks ago. Annnnd we couldn’t be prouder of our slam dunking 3 point shooting swishing basketball playing daughter. She’s pretty amazing! ;) So now that basketball season is over for us, we have turned our attention to basketball tournaments on TV or a good game of H.O.R.S.E. as a family. We also like to make fun basketball treats to eat as we watch the game or to eat after a good game of one on one. So today I am excited to share this easy Skittles Popcorn Ball recipe. I’ll also give you a few tips on making the perfect popcorn balls. It can be a little tricky! So keep reading, & I’ll fill you in on all the details! :)

skittles popcorn ball recipe at GingerSnapCrafts.com

skittles popcorn balls

Have you ever seen a bag of Skittles this big? It’s huge! I found it at Sam’s Club, of course. Everything is bigger at Sam’s Club! ha! ;) I like to keep a bag like this in the pantry to use in recipes. Skittles are a great addition to so many great treats! You can find some more basketball inspired recipes using Skittles right over {HERE}.

Skittles at Sam's Club

For this popcorn ball recipe you’ll need:
2 cups of Skittles
12 cups of popcorn
10 oz. bag of marshmallows
1/2 stick of butter
cooking spray
red & yellow food coloring (optional)
popcorn baller (optional)

popcorn ball ingredients

First, you will melt your marshmallows & butter on low heat. Stir constantly. Tip: You’ll want to use the mini marshmallows. They’ll melt a lot faster! Add food coloring if desired. Once it is melted pour over your popped popcorn. Tip: Make sure you have removed any up-popped kernels. There is nothing worse than biting down on a kennel. Ouch! Stir until well coated. Then stir in the Skittles.

popcorn ball recipe

Next I spread my popcorn & Skittle mixture out on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Tip: I set my popcorn mixture in the refrigerator to harden up a bit. This will help a bunch in the next step.

skittle recipes

Meanwhile (while the popcorn is in the fridge), I got to work on my cute packaging! ;)

You’ll need the following supplies:
2 3/4 inch circle punch
this printable
basketball ribbon
treat bags
twist ties
orange cardstock
white cardstock

basketball tags

After my popcorn mixture had cooled I shaped them into balls with my hands. Tip: Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray. It will make this step so much easier! Reapply as needed! Then I dropped them inside treat bags, & then I stuck a paper straw right in the middle of each one (a popsicle stick would work, too!).

popcorn ball tips

Next I tied it up with a twist tie.

popcorn ball making tips

Then I printed out & cut out my cute basketball tags. I love these Skittle inspired basketball sayings: sweeter side of basketball, swish the rainbow, taste the rainbow, dunk the rainbow & make basketball sweeter. Aren’t they clever? haha!

basketball printables

Then I tied the tag onto my popcorn ball using some fun basketball ribbon. So cute!

popcorn balls for basketball season

These would be perfect for an after game treat, as part of a basketball themed birthday party or as a special treat during a big basketball tournament on TV. They’d be a slam dunk with your guest! ha!

popcorn balls for a basketball party

Make basketball sweeter by picking up your huge bag of Skittles today!

Skittles at Sam's Club

You can find the huge 54 oz bag of Skittles at Sam's Club. :)

Do you have a favorite treat to munch on during March basketball season? Have you ever make popcorn balls before? Any tips? I’d love to hear. Leave a comment below.

skittles popcorn ball recipe at GingerSnapCrafts.com

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.
 
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.

 

 

This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.