Ginger Snap Crafts: How to Sew a Bow from I Seam Stressed {contributor}

How to Sew a Bow from I Seam Stressed {contributor}

Hi there! I'm Tasha and I can usually be found over at I Seam Stressed, a blog showcasing my passion for sewing. I'm a mom of two, so most of the sewing I do is for my kids. Occasionally I'll get a wild hair and sew something for myself or my home, but sewing for children is what I find most rewarding.

Today I'm sharing a tutorial for a quick, basic sewing project that can be used in nearly any craft medium: BOWS! This might sound silly, but I've always been interested in the endless styles, fabrics, and scale of bows. No two bows are alike! After playing around with a few different dimensions, I think I've found my perfect bow. Instead of making you scroll through countless step-by-step photos, I've put together a short video tutorial. If you need more time with any step, just pause the video!
 
 

And as a bonus mini-tutorial, I'm going to show you how to speed up the process if you plan on making multiple identical bows:
 

Instead of cutting individual rectangles for each bow, cut two long strips of fabric; one 4" wide and the other 2" wide. Fold in half (right sides together!) and sew the entire length with a 1/4" seam allowance.


To make turning such a long tube easier, I like to use a ribbon and a couple safety pins. Use a small safety pin to attach a length of ribbon to one end of your fabric tube.  Attach a larger safety pin to the other end of the ribbon.

   
Feed the large safety pin through the tube...

   
on and on and on, until...

   
the tube is pulled over itself and turns right side out.


Give your fabric tubes a nice press and don't forget to center your seam (this is so they won't show when your bows are finished). Cut the wider tube into 9" lengths and the narrower tube into 3" lengths. Continue on with the video tutorial from about the 30 second mark.


You've sewn all the bows! Congratulations!
 
I've got a slew of bow-related posts (more tips & techniques, decorating with bows, styling bows, bow gifts, etc) queued up on I Seam Stressed in the coming weeks, so be sure to subscribe via Bloglovin' and like me on Facebook. You don't want to miss it! In the mean time, check out my sewing gallery for a quick visual of my sewing style. And please leave some comment love in the comments section here on Ginger Snap Crafts; I'd love to know what you think of the tutorial and answer any questions you might have!

Tasha, those bows are soooooo cute! Thanks for the awesome video tutorial.
Make sure you visit I Seam Stressed for more great projects & tutorials like this one! :)

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.
 
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.