Ginger Snap Crafts: Egg Carton Bugs ~ Kid Craft {tutorial}

Egg Carton Bugs ~ Kid Craft {tutorial}

As you know I have 5 kiddos, so I am always looking for fun things to do with them especially during the summer! I was excited to be asked to participate in Design Dazzle’s Summer Camp this year as a camp counselor. Make sure you check out all the amazing ideas that were share this year. You can also link up to the Summer Camp link party if you have some fun ideas to share. :) I'm enjoying seeing all the awesome ideas that have been shared so far. :)
 
Today I'd love to share the fun activity that I shared a few weeks ago over at Design Dazzle. This is one that we have done several times over the years ~ making egg carton bugs!
 

I'm pretty sure I first saw this idea in a Family Fun book that I had when my oldest was around 2. (He is now 16! Yikes!) Anyways, we made these for his bug birthday party that summer, & they were a hit. :)
 
 
You'll need a few things to get started:
 
cardboard egg carton
craft paint
foam brushes
school glue
hole punch
googly eyes
pipe cleaners
construction paper
 
*Tip: You can actually buy brand new egg cartons at a feed store (like Tractor Supply). I don't like to use used ones since my kids are always putting things in their mouths. Ewww!
 
 
You'll cut the egg carton in pieces. You can do all different combinations. One spot for spiders & ladybugs, 2 spots for ants & longer ones for caterpillars & worms.
 
 
Then let your kiddos paint their "bugs" however they want.
 
 
Then you can use a hole punch to make spots for the antennas & legs. (This is probably an adult's job!)
 
 
Then stick in your pipe cleaners. You can curl them with a pencil if you'd like to!
 
 
Then add some googly eyes!
 
 
We made a "home" for our bugs with the top of the egg carton. We painted it green, & then added some construction paper grass. :)
 
 
Meet our bugs! Aren't they cute??
 
 
 
Here are some more fun kid activities that you can find on my blog!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.
 
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.

 

 

This post was originally published at Design Dazzle on June 26, 2013.
This project & post were created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.