Ginger Snap Crafts: Teach Me Thursday: Using Vinyl Negatives

Teach Me Thursday: Using Vinyl Negatives

Last week I posted this over at Capital B,
(If you haven't checked out Sky at Capital B yet...
go now..... she just posted
the cutest bow ties ever! 
(Oh...how I wish I could sew because I
would totally be copying her right now
...I'm slightly behind on
my Easter shopping!  Yikes!)


Anyways, I thought I'd post this
fun spring block tutorial again over here
on my blog because guess what???
Whoopdwhoop is featuring this
same tutorial on their blog TODAY, too!
Go here to check it out!
I am so excited!!! :)

Spring is finally in the air!
(It was a very, very long winter for us!  How about you?)

Time to get out the fun spring decor. :)

I just recently added this fun spring block
to my etsy shop, Ginger Snaps.

(You can buy it finished or as a kit & make your own!)


Here's how I made it:
(Easy!)

1. First cut a 2 x 4 into a block that measure 3 1/2 inches by 7 inches long.


2.  Slightly sand your block, paying special attention to the edges.


3.  Choose a paint color.  I chose a bright purple. :)


4.  Paint your block.  It took me about 2 coats.  Let it dry.


5. You will use the vinyl negative (the part you usually throw away) as a stencil.
You can cut your own vinyl negative using a Cricut or Silhouette.
I used the elise font. (My favorite!)
(You can also buy one from my esty shop!)
Apply your vinyl lettering to your block of wood.


Make sure you press down firmly with your hand or a credit card. 
(You don't want any air pockets or loose areas.)
 

6.  Using bright spring-like colors carefully paint each letter a different color.
(Let them dry between coats.)


7.  After your paint has dried completely.
(I let mine dry over night, just to be sure!)
Carefully peel back your vinyl negative.


8.  Touch up any areas you might need to.
(You'll be amazed on how good a job vinyl can be when used as a stencil! :) )


9.  Tie a matching bow around your block.


10. Enjoy!



Tip Junkie handmade projects