Ginger Snap Crafts: Gooey Caramel Apple Monster Corn from I Dig Pinterest {contributor}

Gooey Caramel Apple Monster Corn from I Dig Pinterest {contributor}

Hi Ginger Snap readers!  I'm so excited to be here today! We've been having a ball this month over on I Dig Pinterest celebrating the "Halloween Extravaganza", so I thought I'd continue the theme and share a fun, festive treat with you too!

My kids love all things (friendly) monster.  Is there a child that doesn't?  So when I saw these fun candy eyes the other day at Target, I knew I had to put them to use-Halloween style.  My mom has this famous (well not quite, but it should be) gooey caramel popcorn that my siblings and I used to just gobble right up.  I hadn't made it for years, so I pulled it out of the archive. Why I waited so long, I don't know, but I do know that it'll be making a much more regular appearance at our house in the future.

 
There's not much better than a glob of ooey gooey caramel popcorn that just about melts in your mouth.  Combine it with a generous drizzle of melted caramel apple taffy and it's to die for! 
 
To "Halloween-ify" it, place a heaping helping in a mini decorative tin pail (I found mine at Target in the dollar section), sprinkle with gumdrops and press in candy eyes while the popcorn and taffy are still warm. 
 
{GOOEY CARAMEL POPCORN}
 
4 c. unpopped corn kernels or about 12 c. popped corn
2 1/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. karo syrup
1/2 c. butter
dash of salt
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 t. vanilla
1 pkg. (7.5 oz.) Caramel Apple Taffy (I found mine at the Dollar Tree)
 
Pop the corn.  Stir brown sugar, karo syrup, butter and salt in a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Stir in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. 
Bring to a boil.  Pour over popcorn and carefully incorporate so all popcorn is covered. 
Unwrap taffy and melt in a buttered saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently.  Immediately drizzle over popcorn mixture.  Store in an air-tight container.
 
ADD-INS:

Peanuts
sprinkles (I ended up leaving these out)
gum drops (I found mine at the Dollar Tree and just used the Halloween-colored ones)
candy eyes

Other possible add-ins are candy corns, M&M's, chocolate chips, pretzels, marshmallows, etc.  
So many possibilities!  I just decided to keep it simple to highlight the fun "monster" features.


I love that the melted taffy gives it the "green slime" look...so fitting for a Halloween dessert!
 
Cupcake liners are a perfect way to present and serve this fun treat at a party!  
Or, form it into mini balls, drop in cellophane bags and tie with ribbon. 
 

It's sure to be the talk of the party!
 
**Just a warning, one batch makes enough to feed an army,
so feel free to half the recipe if you'd like.


A BIG thank you to Ginger for having me. I hope you'll drop by I Dig Pinterest soon for more fun Halloween ideas!  You can find me on Facebook and Pinterest too.


Oh my gooey-ness that looks amazing! I know my kiddos would LOVE this!
Adding it to our Halloween to do list right now! :)
Make sure you visit I Dig Pinterest for more fun ideas like this one!

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.
 
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.

 

 

This project & post were created for Ginger Snap Crafts by I Dig Pinterest.