Ginger Snap Crafts: Chalkboard Christmas Trees {tutorial}

Chalkboard Christmas Trees {tutorial}

This post was first seen over on Mod Podge Rocks

I love the look of chalkboard, but I’m not so crazy about the mess! So these faux Chalkboard DIY Christmas Trees are perfect. Plus they are so simple to make! Let’s get started.

Chalkboard Christmas Trees by GingerSnapCrafts.com

650 chalkboard Christmas trees

You’ll need a few supplies to get started:

Mod Podge (just about any kind would work!)

4×4 piece of untreated wood cut into 3 blocks (10 inch, 7 inch & another 7 inch)

white chalk or acrylic paint

sandpaper (optional)

foam brush

chalkboard scrapbook paper (This paper is from We R Memory Keepers.)

this image & this image from the Silhouette store (or you could freehand your own Christmas tree shapes or search for clipart as well)

650 chalkboard Christmas tree supplies

I cut out my trees using a my Silhouette & the chalkboard paper. You could also freehand some Christmas trees & do it that way as well. Then I painted my wood blocks white with chalk paint. I love chalk paint. It gives a nice soft look. You really could use any type of paint though ~ even spray paint. It’s a little bit too cold where I live to break out the spray paint though! ha! After the paint dried I roughed up my blocks just a little bit with a piece of sandpaper. If you like that look, too you can do that as well.

650 chalkboard trees tutorial

Next I put one coat of Mod Podge on my wood block with a foam brush. I love using Mod Podge. You can check out more of my Mod Podge projects right {HERE}. My White Christmas Mason Jar Luminaries are super popular this time of year!

650 chalkboard christmas tree tutorial

Next I put my paper chalkboard tree that I had previously cut out on top of the layer of wet Mod Podge. Then I applied a coat of Mod Podge on top of the paper chalkboard tree. I pressed down with my brush as I was applying the Mod Podge to make sure that I got out any bubbles or “loose” spots. Then I let it dry. Repeat for the other two blocks. That’s it! So easy!

650 chalkboard Christmas trees with Mod Podge

I love the whimsical look. You could also change it up & use bright colored or textured cardstock.

chalkboard christmas tree

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!
I’ll be back here Monday with a Silhouette challenge & giveaway!

Chalkboard Christmas Trees by GingerSnapCrafts.com

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting, I’d love to keep in touch.

post-signature-pink_thumb2

This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.