Ginger Snap Crafts: DIY Ornament Display Tree {tutorial}

DIY Ornament Display Tree {tutorial}

This post was originally seen at Craftaholics Anonymous®.

Hello! Happy Friday! A few months ago I was in charge of our church's craft night, & the lady I was working with stumbled upon this DIY Ornament Display Tree. You'll have to check out that tutorial. They made two different size trees (a large & a small), & they have very detailed instructions. I made a few tweaks to make one of my own with some scrap wood in our garage. So let's get started, & I'll show you how I made one so you can, too!




Supplies:
6 ft 1x4
6 ft 1x2
nail gun & nails
wood glue
picture frame wire
wire cutters
needle nose pliers
hammer
miter saw
table saw
drill & small drill bit
sander & sand paper
paint & paint brush

You'll need the 1x2 cut into the following lengths: 23 3/4 inch, 22 1/2 inch & 17 1/2 inch.

You'll also need a 1x4 cut into a 9 inch base. 

FYI: You'll have extra wood! Just save it for another project or another Christmas tree. :)


The important part is how you angle the end cuts so your pieces will fit together.

The 23 3/4 piece should have a 50° cut on one end & a 20° on other end. The 22 1/2 piece should have a 50° cut on one end & a 20° cut on other end, and finally the 17 1/2 piece should have a 20° cut on both ends. The base piece should just have straight cuts on both ends. Sand pieces as needed.


Then I used a nail gun & a little bit of wood glue to assemble my tree. This is how my tree will looked assembled. Next, I painted my tree. I used Butter Cream acrylic paint from DecoArt.


Next using a small drill bit drill holes on each side of your tree. Make sure they match up to a hole on the other side. I had 5 sets of holes.


Next I got the picture hanging wire, needle nose pliers & wire cutters.


I threaded the wire through the holes, cut them & then twisted them with the needle nose pliers. I then tapped them in gently with a hammer.


Then all I had left to do was hang my ornaments!




What are your plans this weekend? Any simple DIY projects?
I'm on my way to see my sister. She has a baby due on Monday. Yay!
I'd love to hear what you're up to! Leave a comment below. :)


Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.
  
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.




This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.