Ginger Snap Crafts: How to Make New {Christmas} Signs Look Old #homeforChristmas

How to Make New {Christmas} Signs Look Old #homeforChristmas

This blog hop is hosted by Hometalk.com & CountryLiving.com. Be sure to visit all the blogs in this hop for some amazing Christmas home decor ideas & projects ~ like this How to Make New Signs Look Old tutorial. Now let’s get started!

How to Make New Signs Look Old at   GingerSnapCrafts.com

Christmas signs

This year I’m going for a more vintage, old, not so traditional Christmas colors decor for our home. So of course, I decided to make some new stuff! ha! Buuuuut I needed it to look a little old! So this is how I did it!

First, you’ll need to gather a few supplies.

Supplies:
1x10 cut into various lengths for my signs
table saw
sander & sand paper
paint (I used Americana chalky finish paint.)
Mod Podge
foam paint brushes
this image, this image & this image from the Silhouette online store
vinyl stencils
Silhouette hook (optional)

I’ve shared this stenciling technique before, & I love it. First, you will paint your board the color you want the words or image to be. Let dry.

sign1

Apply your vinyl lettering right on top. Cover with a layer of Mod Podge using a foam brush. Let dry.

sign2 (2)

Paint your board the color you want your sign background to be. Let dry. Then carefully remove the vinyl stencil leaving the most perfect stenciled letters behind!

sign 1

You gotta love clean stencil lines! ha!

sign2

Next, take a hand sander & sand your board. Pay careful attention the edges & corners. Sand over the whole board (yes, go right over the letters!) giving it a nice rustic look.

sign3

For this board I wanted two different colors of words to make the word Christmas really stand out. So next I added the word Christmas & added the red holly berries using vinyl lettering. Technically I could of stenciled the words on, but vinyl lettering is so much easier. :)

sign4

I love how taking a couple of minutes to sand the board gave it that nice rustic, OLD look!

sign5

I made the other two signs the exact same way. See the before below. They are a little too perfect.

sign6

I love the character a little sanding can do!

sign7

Christmas signs

how to make stenciled Christmas signshow to tutorial signs

Here’s how the signs look in my fun & festive entry way! I’ll be sharing the FA LA LA LA pillow & ornament display holder tutorials later on this month. You can see how I made my coat hook & shelf rack right {HERE}. You can also check out my bench makeover post right {HERE}.

signs in front entry way

Now check out some more #HomeforChristmas ideas below!
You can see my project over on Hometalk.

christmas blog hop

How to Make New Signs Look Old at   GingerSnapCrafts.com

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.
 
Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.

 

 

This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.