Ginger Snap Crafts: Father's Day Tie Cake Topper & Matching Polka Dot Frame {tutorial}

Father's Day Tie Cake Topper & Matching Polka Dot Frame {tutorial}

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CelebrateAmazingDads #CollectiveBias

Hello! Father's Day will be here before you know it! Eek! I don’t really need a reason to celebrate the dads in my life. They are pretty wonderful every day, & I hope I make them feel that way all year long. ;) Buuuuut I am glad that we have a special day to celebrate the amazing dads in our lives! It also gives me a chance to go out of my way to make them all feel special & loved! I love putting a smile on their face with the perfectly worded Father’s Day Card. I also love helping my kiddos make sweet homemade gifts & treats for their dad & grandpas.  This post is packed full of Father’s Day Ideas. I have two easy crafts that you can make, too. I’m also going to share some of things I love about the dads in my life. So keep reading!

Father's Day Cake Topper at GingerSnapCrafts.com #cake #papercraft

cute and easy father's day crafts

Polka Dot Picture Frame at GingerSnapCrafts.com #picture #frame

I’m sure you’ve seen all the super traditional Father's Day cards around, but don’t you love to give the funny & laugh out loud Father’s Day cards? I know we do! ha! Have you seen the JUMBO American Greetings Father’s Day cards? They are huge! American Greetings has such a fun variety of cards at Walmart this year. We picked out quite a few to send to our grandpas & to give to my hubby on Father’s Day morning. We especially love the cards that make noise & music! ha!

father's day cards from American Greetings

This Father’s Day I will celebrating several dads & grandpas in my life. Buuuut the star of the show will have to be my hubby! He is the amazing dad to these 5 crazy kiddos, & we want to show him how much we love him by making him feel special on Father’s Day. We plan on doing that through cards & letters, a special dinner & dessert & pampering him on his special day!

focus

I remember when my hubby became a dad. The first time he went to change our oldest son’s diaper in the hospital he put on a pair of plastic gloves! ha! He has come a long way since then! ;) He is the most amazing father to our kids. He will drop everything to help us out. He fixes everything! Never complains about my crazy ideas. He works so hard for our family. Annnnd most of all he loves us unconditionally! You can say that we think he is pretty awesome! I hope he already knows that, but we will be sure to tell him again on Father’s Day! That’s why giving cards are so important! Sometimes seeing things written down can make them even more meaningful! Plus you can go back & reread them over & over again! Cards are amazing like that!

The other special dad in my life was the first man I ever knew ~ my Dad! He was just here a few weeks ago for my oldest son’s graduation from high school. All the grandkids love getting rides in his new Mustang!

grad & papa

My dad has always been bigger than life! When we were growing up he played softball. He might as well have been a major league baseball player! ha! We loved going to his games & watching him hit a homerun over the fence (lots!). When he won a game that meant we would be having root beer floats when we got home! We really loved it when he won! ha! Since we live far away from each other cards have become even that much more important. I wish I could be there to make his favorite dessert (blueberry pie) or take him out to a ballgame. Buuuut since I can’t be there in person, I always send a card! I want him to know how much I love him, that I am thinking of him & how much I appreciate all that he has taught me over the years!

Take this fun quiz to see what kind of dad your dad is. Both of the amazing men in my life got Mr. Fix-It which is not surprising at all! ha! I know I can count on both of them to help me whenever I need them!

 
 
For my hubby we always make a special dessert (usually cheesecake!). This cute cake topper might be making
another appearance on Father’s Day. Let’s get to that tutorial!

Father's Day ideas
You will need:
American Greetings Tissue Paper
American Greetings Raffia Ribbon
mini clothespins
2 paper straws
tie pattern (You can download the pattern >>> HERE.)
pencil
scissors

cake toppers

First, you will trace the tie pattern to the back of some cute tissue paper with a pencil.


cake topper tutorial

Then cut them out with some scissors.


cake topper for dad's day

Cut 2 1/4 of an inch slits on the top of each straw & string your raffia between them. Then clip on the ties with mini clothespin. I clipped on a bunch in each clip. Cute!

cake topper

Then stick the cake topper on top of your cake (or cheesecake!). Adorable!


Father's Day ideas

Alright, moving right along to our next craft ~ a cute polka dot frame. :) Have I ever mentioned how much I love polka dots? While, I do! ha! ;) I also love giving homemade gifts for Father’s Day. This is a craft the kiddos could help out on, too!

Polka Dot Picture Frame at GingerSnapCrafts.com #picture #frame

For this project you will need:
American Greetings Wrapping Paper Roll
decoupage
foam brush
X-ACTO knife or scissors
wooden craft frame
cutting mat
sandpaper
vinyl lettering (optional)

frame supplies

First, trace your frame onto the back of the wrapping paper. Trim inside the lines.


frame for father's day


frame gift ideas 



frame tutorial

Next, put the paper on the frame using two coats of decoupage with a foam brush. Let it dry between coats.

mod podge

Don’t worry about the wrinkles! They add character! After the decoupage has completely dried, sand your frame with a piece of sandpaper. Pay special attention to the edges. The sanding (& wrinkles) gives it a nice rustic, worn look.

frame tutorial

The last thing I did was add “best dad ever” vinyl lettering along the bottom.


best dad ever craft

Adorable! :) Have I ever told you how much I love my hubby & kiddos? I do! ;)

gifts for dad

We have the gift, the card & the goodies all ready! Now it’s time to celebrate the dads in our life!


dad's day
father's day card
dad's day

Remember you find everything for Father’s Day at Walmart. 

 image2 image1

Keep in touch with American Greetings on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or Twitter! Be sure to let me know about your Father’s Day plans in the comments below. Who will you be celebrating this year? I’d love to hear. :)


Father's Day Cake Topper at GingerSnapCrafts.com #cake #papercraft
cute and easy father's day crafts
Polka Dot Picture Frame at GingerSnapCrafts.com #picture #frame

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.

post-signature-pink_thumb2
 
 
This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.