Ginger Snap Crafts: How to Grow & Care for Petunias

How to Grow & Care for Petunias

Good morning! Happy Tuesday! I don’t know if you know this or not, but I love flowers! :) When we first got married (26 years ago TOMORROW!) I didn’t have such a green thumb. ha! I always planted pansies in the spring in Texas. Then I would wonder why they died so quickly. Pansies don’t love heat, & they really should be planted in the fall not spring. I’ve gotten just a little bit better over the years. It’s a mix of planting the right type of flowers & watering & feeding them enough, too. For the last several years, I’ve planted petunias in our front flower pots, and I just love them! They are super easy to grow & flower all summer long & into the fall. Let me show you how easy they are to take care of! :)

First, petunias love sun! When we moved into our home two years ago, I brought two big pots of petunias from our old house to our new house. I sat them on the back porch which gets almost no sun. Within a week I didn’t have any blooms! The green part of the plant looked nice & healthy, but they both stopped producing flowers. As soon as I moved them back to the front porch, which gets hours & hours of sun each day, they started blooming again & didn’t stop. So make sure your plants get 6+ hours of sun a day. :)

You might of or might not of heard the term dead heading before. Basically it is removing all the spent & faded blooms. I do this each day, and you wouldn’t believe how many I pinch off! Your plant will actually bloom more if you do this every day. This is a job my kiddos love helping with, too. :)

Next, each week I fertilize my plants with Miracle-Gro. I do this usually on Wednesday. I try & pick the same day each week so I don’t forget to do it. ;)

Annnnd the last tip is water! Be sure to water your plants regularly. In the summer when it’s super hot, I water my plants everyday usually in the evening. :)

What is your favorite flower to grow? What does well where you live? Let me know. :)

Enjoy these other outdoor project ideas! Click the link below the picture for the tutorials. :)

DIY Cedar Window Boxes

DIY Cedar Planter Box

DIY Herb Garden

Enjoy some of my most popular garden round ups! Click the link below the picture for all the details. :)

12 Garden Ideas

10 Gardening Ideas

10 Garden Ideas

10 More Garden Ideas

Connect with me on facebook or instagram.
Question or comment? Shoot me an email at ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com. :)

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting, I’d love to keep in touch.

.