Ginger Snap Crafts: DIY Stenciled Tray {tutorial}

DIY Stenciled Tray {tutorial}

This post is brought to you by Silhouette.

Hi there! Today I’m excited to share how I turned a plain wooden tray I found at the craft store for a couple of dollars into a super cute DIY stenciled tray using my Silhouette! Annnnd remember this month’s super awesome promotion is still on right now through the end of the month! Eek! You can get all of the details {HERE}. Just make sure you use the code GINGERSNAP to get the discount. :) Now let’s get to that tutorial. :)

DIY Stenciled Tray with SilhouetteAmerica.com at GingerSnapCrafts.com #SilhouetteCAMEO #SilhouettePortrait #gingersnapcrafts

diy tray

For this project you will need:

Acrylic Paint ~ Light Buttermilk

Acrylic Paint ~ Sea Breeze

Decoupage ~ Matte

vinyl stencil

wooden tray

paint brush, roller & foam brushes

this image from the Silhouette online store

DIY stenciled tray

First I painted my tray a nice milky white using my craft paint. Then I let my painted tray dry over night. Since I was using vinyl (which sticks to the tray) as a stencil I wanted to make sure my tray was thoroughly dried before I started stenciling. While I was waiting on paint to dry (ha!) I made my stencil by cutting this image in vinyl.I love the Silhouette software because it lets you size things to exactly how big or small you need them. (Remember the Silhouette Studio Designer software is 40% off using code GINGERSNAP right now!) The next afternoon I applied my vinyl to the bottom of the tray. Make sure you smooth out your stencil so you don’t have any gaps around the edges.

DIY stenciled tray with DecoArt

After I applied the vinyl I used a paint brush & applied one coat of decoupage in matte on top of the stencil. The decoupage will seal the edges of the stencil & prevent the paint from seeping underneath in the next step.

DIY stenciled tray with Decoupage Stenciling

Next I used a roller brush to paint on two coats of acrylic paint in Sea Breeze.

diy tray with paint and stenciling

As soon as I finished painting (before the paint had dried completely) I carefully pulled back my stencil.

diy tray with stenciling

The results are amazing! Stenciling this way produces such clean lines! It always turns out so neat with very few touch ups needed if at all.

diy tray #decoart #diy

I love how my DIY stenciled tray turned out! It’s going to be the perfect addition to our master bedroom end table. I just hope I can keep that succulent alive! ha! ;)

diy painted tray with stencilstencil tray with a succulent

Don’t forget this month’s Silhouette promotion is going on until July 31st.
Let me know if you have any questions! I’d love to hear them. :)

Silhouette July 2014 Promotion using the code GINGERSNAP #SilhouetteCAMEO #SilhouettePortrait #spon

Are you still on the fence about buying a Silhouette?
Read my top 5 reasons that I’m glad that I bought mine {HERE}.

DIY Stenciled Tray with SilhouetteAmerica.com at GingerSnapCrafts.com #SilhouetteCAMEO #SilhouettePortrait #gingersnapcrafts

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting I’d love to keep in touch.

Don’t miss a post! Subscribe by email or bloglovin’.

 

 

This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.