Ginger Snap Crafts: Easy DIY Sign with Cricut Explore Air™ {tutorial}

Easy DIY Sign with Cricut Explore Air™ {tutorial}

Hello there! A few weeks ago I introduced to my Cricut Explore Air™, & I shared a simple Valentine string art project with you. (You can check that project out right here.) Annnnnnd today I am back sharing this easy DIY sign tutorial with you using a cute image from the Cricut Design Space Library. Let’s get started!

Easy DIY sign with Cricut at GingerSnapCrafts.com #madewithCricut

love you more sign

explore-air-header_thumb

Just as a reminder the Cricut Explore Air is an electronic cutting machine made especially for DIY projects & crafts. It can cut a HUGE variety of materials from paper to iron-on vinyl to vinyl lettering (my fave!) to even thicker materials like leather & burlap!

Some other features of the Cricut Explore Air™ include:

  • Embedded Bluetooth® for wireless cutting
  • Dual carriage for cutting and writing or cutting and scoring in one step
  • Upload your own images for free (.svg, .jpg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .dxf)
  • Cut over 60 materials from vellum to leather
  • Smart Set® dial for easy material settings
  • Free Cricut Design Space online software and iPad app
  • Cut Smart® precision cutting
  • Works with all Cricut® cartridges
  • Integrated storage compartments

Alright, let’s get to that project. :)

For this project you will need:

1×12 cut to 9 inches
(2) 12 inch trim pieces cut from a 1×2 with 45° angles on each end
(2) 10 1/2 inch trim pieces cut from a 1×2 with 45° angles on each end
white paint
black paint
sand paper
1 1/2 inch nails
hammer
black vinyl
Cricut Explore Air

First, paint your wood pieces and then distress them with sand paper, if desired.


life-storage-hot-cocoa-bar-sign-1

Next, nail your frame on using a hammer & nails.

life-storage-hot-cocoa-bar-sign-2

Next, I found the perfect image in Cricut Design Space. They have a ton to choose from!

cricut2

Next I inserted the image into Cricut Design Space & sized it to fit my board.

cricut

Then I turned to dial to vinyl. (I love this feature!)

cricut cutting machine

I loaded my vinyl. Tip: I don’t use a cutting mat with vinyl.

cricut machine

Then I sent my design to my machine to cut out. So easy!

vinyl

I took the vinyl sheet out of the machine, & then I removed the excess vinyl. (aka weeding)

vinyl cutting

I used this handy hook tool to remove all of the little pieces that were inside the letters.

love you more quote

I put a piece of clear transfer tape on top & cut it out.

vinyl with cricut

Then I took off the white backing leaving the vinyl letters on the transfer tape. I placed it on my sign. Then rubbed it on using this handy tool.

applying vinyl

I carefully removed the transfer tape leaving my vinyl lettering behind. Perfection!

for the home

If you are thinking of tackling your first project with a Cricut, I would definitely recommend vinyl.

sign

It’s hard to mess up a vinyl lettering project. The results are almost always amazing!

love you more sign

Check out Cricut Design Space™ & let me know what design you’d like to start with. :)

Easy DIY sign with Cricut at GingerSnapCrafts.com #madewithCricut

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting, I’d love to keep in touch.

post-signature-pink_thumb

 

This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.

Yum

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Cricut. The opinions and text are all mine.