Ginger Snap Crafts: Mason Jar Centerpiece {tutorial}

Mason Jar Centerpiece {tutorial}

Mason jars always add the perfect amount of rustic farmhouse charm to your outdoor living space. Today I’m excited to show you how to make this beautiful Mason Jar Centerpiece that can easily transition from winter to spring to summer & fall. Let me show you how! :)

Mason jars are so versatile. There is a reason you see them all over Pinterest. ;) Mason jars are inexpensive, come in so many sizes and are easy to find in the canning section of your local store or even at the thrift store. With just a few supplies you can turn them into just about anything from party décor to these wintery luminaries (see below) to pretty summer vases (see above). I’m going to show you how to turn ordinary mason jars into this beautiful centerpiece that would be perfect for a family dinner outside on the patio or as a simple centerpieces for a wedding or outdoor BBQ. Let’s get started. ;)



This centerpiece consist of two things ~ a rustic wooden tray annnnnd frosted mason jar with wire handles. I’ll be showing you how to make both. Yay! Let’s start with that wooden tray first. You will need a just a few things to get started.

Supplies:
(1) 6 foot cedar fence board
table saw
nail gun
nails
tape measurer
Cedar is the perfect wood to use for this project. Cedar holds up well outside, and cedar smells and looks amazing. For this project I bought two cedar fence boards, but soon realized that I would only need one of these boards. You can buy a cedar fence board for under $3 at your local hardware store. Yep! This project is super cheap to make as well!



Step 1: Cut your wood.
Using a table saw you will cut your cedar fence board into the following size pieces.
(2) 28 inch x 2 inches pieces
(1) 28 inch x 4.5 inch piece
(2) 5.75 inch x 2 inch

*Remember to use protective eyewear & to use all safety precautions when using power tools.



Step 2: Assemble your tray using a nail gun. You will assemble your box using a nail gun. Nail guns are amazing little tools. I love mine!



First, you’ll attach your two sides to the bottom piece by putting 4 to 5 nails along the bottom edge.


Then you’ll attach your two end pieces. All done!


Next I frosted my mason jars & added a wire handle.

Supplies:
wide mouth mason jars*
heavy gauge black wire
needle nose pliers with wire cutter
Frosted Glass spray paint
yard stick

*Wide mouth mason jars are my favorite. They are perfect in so many projects. I always like to keep some on hand in my craft room. :)

Step 1: Spray paint your mason jars.



TIP: I sprayed painted my jars before I added the wire handles. For next time, I would definitely do this step last. The wire had a black coating on it, so when I was finished adding the handles I had black fingerprints all over the place. I also had a few spots where the paint got scratched off. I ended up repainting my jars. It wasn’t a big deal, but it would of been easier to just save that step until last.

Step 2: Add a wire handle.



To add the wire handle, cut a piece of wire into a 32 inch piece. Using the end of your needle nose pliers curve one end of your wire into a “C” shape.


Loop your wire around your jar using your little hook to grab the other end of the wire. Pull tight.


Bring the long end of your wire over your jar & slide it under the wire on the opposite side of the jar.


Pull the end of the wire through until your handle is the height you would like it to be.Loosely twist your wires together as your bring the loose end of the wire back to were you started. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Remember we are going for the rustic look.  ;)


Cut off any excess wire with your wire cutters. Crimp any loose ends together using your needle nose pliers. All done!
Step 3: Fill your mason jars.
Next I filled the bottom of the luminaries with dried white beans, & then I set a candle inside. I put all the luminaries in the wooden tray we made earlier and added some decorative décor balls.


All that is left to do is to light the candles. So pretty!


To change it up a little bit I decided to dress up this centerpiece with a more summer feel. I emptied everything out, filled the mason jars with water & added some pretty spring flowers. Isn’t this gorgeous? I love when I can use home décor across several seasons. This would make a pretty centerpiece for a summer wedding or at spring garden party. This centerpiece is both inexpensive and beautiful. This is the perfect DIY to tackle for your next outdoor event!



Let me know if you try out this project! I’d love to hear how your centerpiece turns out.
What did you fill it with? :)



Connect with me on facebook or instagram.
Question or comment? Shoot me an email at ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com. :)


Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!


Yum