Ginger Snap Crafts: Little Boys & Scriptures #PrinceofPeace

Little Boys & Scriptures #PrinceofPeace

I am so excited to partner with mormon.org again this year as they launch their Easter campaign ~ Prince of Peace. #PrinceofPeace

I look forward to the Easter and Christmas campaigns every year. This year mormon.org is launching a brand new campaign centered around the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ. This Easter season I hope we all take time to remember His life & His sacrifice for us. The official campaign launches this Friday, March 31. Be sure to follow me on instagram and facebook. I will be updating as the campaign launches & gets underway.

prince of peace

In the week leading up to Easter, each day they will have a new attribute to focus on & ideas to help you get started. The goal is to help bring us closer to Christ & to be more like our Savior. I don’t want to give too much away, but for example one attribute that will be highlighted is reading the scriptures. I know when I read the scriptures I feel closer to my Savior & to my Heavenly Father. Every time I read my scriptures, something new stands out to me. I swear it was written just for me! :) When I think of the scriptures and scripture reading it also reminds me of my oldest son, Zachary. Zach is serving a mission for our church right now. He has always been a dedicated scripture reader even before his mission. Many times I would find him in his room reading & marking his scriptures. He’s always been a great example to me.

IMG_3324_thumb

Even though he’s been away for almost 10 months. He continues to inspire me. For my birthday, he sent me a Book of Mormon reading chart & challenged me to read the Book of Mormon again. Of course, I accepted the challenge & was able to complete it before Christmas. Recently, his mission was able to have Elder Rasband from the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles come & speak . He challenged the missionaries to get to know their Savior better. Zach took the challenge & read the four Gospels. He challenged our family to do the same. I’m in Mark right now. :)

I know when we read the scriptures we can find comfort and peace. Zach is my oldest, and it nearly broke my heart when he left. Missions are two years long. We get weekly emails, & we only get to talk to him on Mother’s Day & Christmas. It’s hard. I am so proud & so, so sad at the same time. It has definitely been a bittersweet time for me. It’s amazing to see him grow & mature, but at the same time I miss him like crazy! ;)

Recently, I was scrolling through facebook and stumbled across this little poem & burst into tears. Then I grabbed my 7 year old & got some snuggle time. ;) (I wish I knew who wrote it!)

Hold him a little longer,
Rock him a little more.
Tell him another story
(You've only told him four).
Let him sleep on your shoulder,
Rejoice in his happy smile.
He is only a little boy
For such a little while.

How true that is! Check out this adorable little Zachary. He was so little. I was so sure he would never grow up, but he did. ;)

Scan0043_thumb[5]

Here he is at 17. He’s such a handsome kid!

zach2_thumb[2]

During this happy, anxious, proud & sometimes sad time of life as my kiddos start leaving the nest & are figuring out this crazy world on their own the scriptures have brought me peace. I know that wherever my kiddos are that they have a Heavenly Father that is looking out for them. He is always there no matter what. This gives me comfort for the times when I can’t be there (like I want to!). A few years ago (when Zach was barely a teenager) I wrote him a letter. A scripture (written just for me!) touched my heart one day as I was thinking about Zach & how he was growing up so quickly. I knew as I read it that Heavenly Father was aware of me & my worries.

Dear Zachary,

You are my first,

first to walk, first to talk, first one to go to kindergarten,

first to ride a bike, first to loose a tooth,

first one to be baptized, first one to go to middle school,

first one to go to the temple, first teenager...

you are paving the way

& being an example

for all of your younger brothers and sisters.

With each first that you have, me & Dad are still learning.

We are still new at this....especially being a parent of a teenager!!! :)

Please be patient with us as we try to do the best we can. :)

Just remember that we love you and want the best for you.

I know that you are going to do wonderful things in your life.

I know that one day

(sooner than you realize & way too soon for me)

you'll be old enough to leave home

to serve a mission, go to college

and someday be married in the temple.

I find comfort in this scripture from Alma 19 in the Book of Mormon,

Mosiah was the king of the Nephites,  & his 4 sons had left to go on missions

to the Lamanites which was a dangerous place to go on a mission for a Nephite.

In verse 23 it is talking about how Ammon's life was spared, it says,

"The Lord had said unto Mosiah, his father: I will spare him,

& it shall be unto him according to thy faith-

therefore, Mosiah trusted him unto the Lord."

I know I have to have greater trust & faith in the Lord

to watch over you, protect you & to help keep you safe & healthy.

I know as you make good choices, honor your priesthood

& are worthy to go to the temple you will be watched over

& protected just like the sons of Mosiah were long ago.

I love you more than you’ll ever know

until one day when you'll hold your own little boy.

Then you'll know exactly how much I love you.

Love,

Mom

Many times since Zach has been away I have gone & reread that scripture. Trust in the Lord.
Trusting in the Lord gives me so much comfort and peace. He is in control. He is aware of me & my family! :)

Enjoy these missionary pictures from my Elder! :)
You can check out his mission blog here.

IMG_1185_thumb

IMG_2191_thumb

IMG_2393_thumb

IMG_4043_thumb

image1 (2)

How have the scriptures brought you peace? I’d love to hear in the comments below.

To find out more about our family & what we believe go here.

Be sure to visit mormon.org to learn more about the principles of peace
and how they can help bring you closer to the Savior, Jesus Christ.

prince of peace

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting, I’d love to keep in touch.

post-signature-pink_thumb

 

This post was created for Ginger Snap Crafts by Ginger Bowie.

Yum