Ginger Snap Crafts: DIY Book Ledges for under $20 {tutorial}

DIY Book Ledges for under $20 {tutorial}

Good morning! These so easy to make DIY book ledges will help organize your kiddo’s books without taking up valuable space on their bedroom floor. My husband & I made these for my youngest son’s room. Annnnnd I love them! I kind of want to put these all over the house! They’d make awesome picture ledges, too! Let me show you how to make them yourself in one afternoon & for under $20!

Organizing your kiddo’s room can be a little bit overwhelming. They have so many things — especially books! These simple DIY book ledges are the perfect solution to organize books (& knick knacks, too!). I love displaying children books out in the open. My kiddos are more likely to grab a book, if they can see it. Annnnnd books make great colorful décor for a child’s bedroom. But quite possibly the best part about these DIY book ledges is how quick and easy they are to put together. In just one afternoon & with less than $20 you could make these, too. Here’s how.

If you follow these instructions, you will be able to make 2 four foot wide book ledges. Of course, these shelves can be shortened or lengthened depending on your space.

To do this project you will need:
(1) 8 foot long 1x2 board
(1) 8 foot long 1x4 board
(1) 8 foot long 1x3 board
drill & drill bits
miter saw
tape measurer
stud finder
level
hand sander
sandpaper
wood screws (2 inch)
cabinet screws (2 1/2 inch)
brad nailer
nails
stain

***Use extreme caution and common sense when using power tools. Follow all manufacturer’s instructions, wear safety gear and build at your own risk.***

First, let me show you how to assemble the shelves. For reference, below you can see what boards will be used below.

Step one: Cut out your wood.

First, you will cut each 8 foot board in half. Use a measuring tape to verify that each board is 4 feet long after you cut. One of our boards ended up being a little bit longer than 8 feet, so we had to trim it down a little bit more.

 

Once all your wood is cut it will leave you with six 4 feet long boards ~ two 1x2 boards, two 1x3 boards and two 1x4 boards.

Step two: Sand your boards.

Next, you will use a hand sander and medium grit sandpaper to sand your boards down. Place close attention to the edges and knock off any wood splinters that are left after you cut.

Step 3: Assemble your book ledges.

Now, you will assemble your two book ledges. You will start by screwing the 1x4 board into the 1x3 board. TIP: You’ll want to predrill some pilot holes before screwing these boards together. That will prevent your wood from splitting!

This will eventually be the back of your shelf. The part that is against the wall. So, these screws won’t be seen once your shelf is in place.

Repeat this step every 6 to 7 inches all the way down the back of your shelf.

Next, using a brad nailer, you will attach the front 1x2 piece. Nail it in place every 3 to 4 inches.

Your first shelf is done! Repeat all the steps with your remaining 3 boards to make the second shelf.

Step 3: Stain your book ledges.

Next, you will stain (or paint) your book ledges. I love using stain. It’s fast & easy! I chose this dark walnut color to match the under the bed storage boxes I made a few months ago for this room. I’ll share that tutorial soon! To stain, always use hand protection. I love these rubber gloves. Then I used an old rag to rub the stain into the wood. Then I took a clean rag & wiped down my shelf removing any excess stain. Usually one coat is all I need to do.

Step 4: Hang your book ledges on the wall.

First, you’ll want to mark your studs on the wall using a stud finder & pencil.

Then use a large level to make sure your shelf is nice & straight.

There was really no way to hide the screws that are going to hold our shelf to the wall. So, we used these pretty cabinet mounting screws to attach our shelves to the wall. We also used these same screws in the open shelving in our kitchen.

We put two screws directly into the two different studs for each shelf using a drill. Tip: To make sure the shelves line up perfectly, use a level.

Step five: Style your shelves!

This is always the most fun for me! I love styling the book ledges. Right now my son is into dinosaurs, so we displayed some of his favorite dinosaur books & dinosaur cut outs. Too cute! I love that these shelves can grow with him. Later on, he can switch out the dinos for pictures. :)

I hope you try these out! Let me know if you do. Pin this post for later. Happy Building! :)

Connect with me on facebook or instagram.
Question or comment? Shoot me an email at ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com. :)

Thank you so much stopping by my blog!
If this is your first time visiting, I’d love to keep in touch.

Yum